Field Sobriety Tests
We have all watched the videos on YouTube of drunken people taking field sobriety tests, but what do you actually know about these tests? Did you know that in the state of Tennessee it is not mandatory to take a field sobriety test, and it is your right to refuse a field sobriety tests without any legal ramifications?
Field Sobriety tests are given by law enforcement officers on the side of the road that suspect that you are operating a motorized vehicle while intoxicated or under the influence of drugs. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration designed three (3) standardized tests for law enforcement officers to use, they include:
• The Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus (HGN) test: The officer will instruct you to follow an object or light with you eyes. This is supposed to test the steadiness of your gaze.
• The Walk & Turn test: The officer will ask you to walk in a line, heal to toe, for several steps. This is supposed to test balance and ability to follow directions.
• The One Leg Stand test: The officer will ask you to stand on one leg for a specific amount of time. Like the walk & turn test, it is supposed to test balance and ability to follow directions.
Studies conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration admit that none of these tests are 100% accurate. A knowledgeable Murfreesboro drunk driving attorney knows all the details of these tests and will make sure that all of your rights were upheld when these tests were administered.
Wilson & Bradley advise the following course of action if you or a friend has been pulled over for driving under the influence (DUI):
• Do not get out of your car.
• Politely listen to the law enforcement officer and be cooperative and respectful.
• Answer the officer’s questions to the best of your ability. Do not lie or try to stretch the truth.
DUI Defense Attorney in Murfreesboro
If you have been arrested for driving under the influence (DUI), the first thing you must to do is contact an experienced Murfreesboro DUI defense attorney. Wilson & Bradley, Attorneys at Law, are practiced drunk driving attorneys with over 20 years of experience in Murfreesboro.
Wilson & Bradley are committed to providing affordable and reliable services to the community of Murfreesboro. It is very important to protect your rights. The prosecution will try to use a failed field sobriety test against you. Wilson & Bradley have experience with drivers who have failed these tests. A knowledgeable attorney knows how to question the validity of your test and results. It is their goal to make sure you are cleared of your DUI charge, and they will utilize their experience and skill to help you achieve this goal.
Call Wilson & Bradley today at (615) 895-0030 to schedule your free DUI consultation by an experienced Murfreesboro DUI Defense Attorney at Wilson & Bradley.
Back to the Top